HEALTH WATCH WEST BERKSHIRE LAUNCHES ITS FIRST
HOMELESS AND ROUGH SLEEPERS REPORT
SAYING WE MUST ALL WORK TO END THE ROUGH SLEEPING CRISIS IN WEST BERKSHIRE
Homeless and rough sleeper numbers in West Berkshire are growing at an unprecedented rate. Today, Health Watch West Berkshire (HWWB) is launching its Homeless And Rough Sleepers Report 2018, which highlights the challenges and experiences of this marginalised group within our community. At a time when homeless and rough sleeper issues have hit the headlines locally and nationally, with temperatures plummeting nationally and deaths being recorded, including one just metres away from the our seat of government at the Houses of Parliament, the Report recommends everyone (statutory services and volunteer groups, businesses and individuals) work together to end homelessness in West Berkshire and support each other to ensure the treatment of some of the most vulnerable in our community is not effectively taking us back in time, as the difference in a homeless person’s life expectancy (of 47 years old for men and 43 years old for women) suggests it is.
HWWB undertook a survey of rough sleepers in November 2017, in order to investigate their experiences of health and social care services in our community, following the organisation’s receipt of a range of feedback from a number of individuals.
“Our report highlights the remarkable dedication of voluntary groups locally, that have worked to make a difference to this vulnerable group within our community,”
commented Andrew Sharp, Chief Officer of HealthWatch West Berks.
“HWWB’s role is to provide a voice to everyone, including those who are often not heard. Within this report we’ve made a range of recommendations, which we hope will improve the lives of those who rough sleep. I believe that if we are serious about transforming and often saving the lives of those on the streets, we all need to work together better.”
Below you’ll find press coverage that we’ve received as a result of this activity. By clicking an image, you can see more details.
- 14th June £200k grant for homeless support via
- 4th June Ending Homelessness and Rough Sleeping by 2020 via
- 1st June “ITV Homeless and Rough Sleeping Coverage”
- 29th May “Call to end rough sleeping in West Berkshire by 2020” via website
- 24th May “Call to end rough sleeping by 2020” from
- 15th May letter – “Access to Healthcare for people experiencing homelessness”
- 9th March homeless and rough sleepers interview via (audio only)
- 9th March homeless and rough sleepers coverage via
- 2nd March “Homeless left out in the cold” via
- 2nd March Homeless and Rough Sleepers coverage via ITV
- 1st March “Full plight of town’s homeless is revealed” via